Mini Implants & Dental Implants in Bingham Farms
There are many ways for dental patients to have gaps in their smiles fixed, from partial dentures to bridges to dental implants, but mini dental implants also are an option for those who do not have the jawbone structure for traditional implants or who want the least complicated surgical procedure possible. At Perfecting Your Smile, Jamestowne South Dental has extensive experience working with mini implants, and they have worked wonders in repairing patients’ smiles.
What Are Mini Implants?
Dental implants come in two forms: standard dental implants and mini dental implants. Both versions work the same way in that a simple surgical procedure allows Jamestowne South Dental to install a small post into the jawbone, onto which the patient will receive a realistic-looking false tooth.
What sets mini implants apart are their size. Traditional implants typically are 3.25 to 5 mm in diameter, where mini implants are typically less than 3mm in diameter.
Common Reasons to Get Mini Implants
There are many reasons why a patient may consider mini dental implants, including:
- They are ideal for patients who have lost a significant amount of bone structure and cannot accommodate traditional dental implants.
- They do not require major surgery. The anchors are placed in the jaw during one simple and relatively non-invasive procedure.
- They are more affordable than traditional implants.
- They require fewer trips to the dentist to complete than traditional implants.
- They can stabilize a lower denture, making it easier to bite and chew food.
Average Cost of Mini Implants
As with all things medical, the out-of-pocket cost for mini dental implants may vary depending on dental insurance coverage, but in a general sense, the average cost of a mini implant typically ranges from $500 to $1,500 per tooth. It is an investment, but the long-term value of that investment is significant. It could mean the difference between having a complete and functional mouth of teeth or not.
What to Expect for the Procedure
Getting mini implants is a simple process that occurs over the course of a couple of visits to Jamestowne South Dental’s office. The steps of this process include:
- The initial consultation, where a patient will receive a thorough examination, including X-rays and CT scans to help determine bone density and plans for treatment.
- The installation procedure itself usually requires only local anesthesia, which will be injected into the surgical site and nearby areas. From there, a small incision will be made into the gum, and then the dentist will make a small opening in the jawbone in which to install the posts. The gum will then be sutured, and assuming there are no complications, dentures can be stabilized that same day.
Our Process at Perfecting Your Smile
If you are interested in learning more about mini dental implants to determine if they are the best approach to correcting your smile, contact Jamestowne South Dental at Perfecting Your Smile in Bingham Farms, MI today. We work hard to create a positive and comfortable environment for our patients no matter what the procedure may be, but if you’re planning on getting mini implants, you can trust that you’re in good hands with a dentist who has served his community for years.