Every year when January 1 rolls around, people start thinking about all the ways that they can better their lives. While most people focus on weight loss or kicking bad habits, Jamestowne South Dental Cracchiolo encourages his patients of dentistry in Bingham Farms to consider making some dental resolutions for the New Year. Dental hygiene is a great first step toward improving overall health, so making smart choices about your diet, teeth, and gums can have a big impact on your body as a whole.
Signs of Tooth Problems
The first thing to do in the New Year is to keep an eye out for some of the most common tooth problems. Resolve to watch for warning signs so you can take care of problems as they arise. The most common signs of tooth problems include:
- Bad breath
- Tooth sensitivity
- Bleeding or sore gums
- Mouth sores
- Dry mouth
- Cracked or broken teeth
- Stained or discolored teeth
If you notice any of these problems in the New Year, start by making an appointment with Jamestowne South Dental to get your smile back in its best form.
Best Dental Hygiene Habits
Another New Year’s Resolution can be to focus on better dental hygiene habits. Jamestowne South Dental suggests doing the following to best take care of your teeth and gums:
- Brush Twice Daily – Brush once after breakfast and once before bed to make sure you’re clearing away the sediment and bacteria that cause plaque and tartar.
- Use Proper Brushing Technique – The proper way to brush involves moving in small circles with a soft-bristled brush. Being too aggressive can damage teeth and gums, and going up-and-down misses a lot of bacteria hot spots.
- Floss Every Day – The recommendation also is to floss daily, as it gets those hard-to-reach areas that toothbrushes can’t quite get to.
- Don’t Forget Mouthwash – Consider mouthwash your last line of defense. What you couldn’t brush and floss away, mouthwash can be taken care of at the end. Even better, it freshens your breath.
- Drink More Water – Not only does water help wash away food particles, but it’s also easier on your teeth than acidic or carbonated beverages.
- Avoid Sugar, Starch, and Acid – Sugary, starchy, and acidic foods and drinks are the worst ones for your teeth, so consider cutting down in the New Year and focusing on fruits, veggies, and protein instead. This could have the extra effect of helping you lose weight!
- Don’t Skip Dental Appointments – You should be coming in for cleanings every six months. Don’t let dental anxiety get the best of you and make sure you come in to clear off tartar and be looked at by Jamestowne South Dental to catch any major issues.
Dental Options for Smile Problems
If you’d like help with any of these, Jamestowne South Dental and his team are happy to provide general dentistry and smile makeovers in Bingham Farms. Schedule a dental cleaning and checkup if you haven’t had one in the last six months, and use our office to help correct any problems that you’ve been putting off for way too long. The New Year is a great time to make excellent dental resolutions, and we’re hopeful these are ones you can hold onto all year long!